The first group to visit Urban Hope Los Angeles was Brighton Chapel from Howe, Indiana. (February 19-26, 2019) This group jumped right into training and serving. They served at a downtown homeless shelter, participated in a local park ministry, and visited a mosque while learning about the Muslim community.
Here is a list of ministries Brighton Chapel was able to be a part of:
- DreamCenter LA – Helped with KidzJam (children’s program in government housing project)
- Cultural Experience Day – Learned about having a heart for Muslim People by visiting an Arab Market, a Mosque and Syrian Restaurant
- Homeless Ministry along Riverbed in Norwalk
- Park Ministry in Norwalk Park
- Park Ministry & Children’s Program in Boyle Heights/East LA
- Union Rescue Mission on Skid Row in L.A.
- Fishing Opportunities in Hollywood, Downtown Disney and Santa Monica
Brighton Chapel was a phenomenal 1st group to have at Urban Hope Los Angeles. The group came prepared by bringing with them Bibles to hand out, snack packs for kids, a children’s program to be used at a local park and funds used to purchase over 250 lunches which they put together to hand out to the homeless.
Everyone in the group had hearts that were ready to serve those around them with the hope of sharing Jesus with those they would encounter. The second night at Urban Hope they went up to the Griffith Observatory in LA to look and pray over the city of LA and for the people they would encounter throughout the week. This set the tone for an incredible week of ministry as they loved on others with the love of Jesus!
From serving the homeless, to participating in children’s programs, to gaining a heart for others who are different, the group from Brighton Chapel was challenged in many ways to think beyond themselves and consider ways they could decrease so that Jesus could increase (John 3:30).
After the group left, the Norwalk Grace Brethren Church, which shares the campus with Urban Hope Los Angeles, saw a mom and her kids along with a few homeless people come to the Sunday service that next weekend because of the interaction that Brighton Chapel had with those in the community.
See pictures on the CE National Facebook page.
Visit urbanhope.net/la to find out more about visiting Urban Hope Los Angeles.
Here’s how CE National helps to equip pastors and church leaders.