Annual performance reviews can be intimidating for pastors to give to staff. . But they don’t have to be with the the right tool. Ed Short, CE National’s Church Ministry Coach and Consultant, shared this ministry review he encourages pastors he coaches to use. Feel free to use this resource, or adapt it as necessary, to best assist you and your ministry!
If you would like more information on receiving ministry coaching and consulting, please contact Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ed has ministered in small churches, large churches, short term ministry locations, and is currently a church planter in York, Pennsylvania. Ed is happily married to his wife, Carol, and loves working with church leaders—but is a glutton for punishment as a long time Philadelphia Eagles fan.
Questions for a pastor to ask his staff
- What are your current responsibilities? Be as specific as possible (format is up to you).
- What was your best day with the church in the last year?
- What was your worst day with the church in the last year?
- How did you do at balancing life, work, and your ministry responsibilities?
- Do you feel you can be completely honest with me?
- What did you enjoy most about last year’s responsibilities?
- What did you enjoy least about last year’s responsibilities?
- Looking back over the last year what are 2 or 3 things you would have done differently?
- What specifically, if anything, did I do to help you succeed in the last year?
- What specifically, if anything, did the other leadership team members do to help you succeed in the last year?
- How would you individually rate my performance as the leader of the team (1 to 10), be honest? Why?
- What were the major lessons you learned about yourself in the past year?
- What did you learn about our church in the past year?
- Do you feel like you are growing as a leader? Why or why not? In what way(s)?
- Do you feel you are growing spiritually as a Christ-follower? Why or why not? In what ways?
- Regarding your responsibilities or possible future responsibilities, what would you like to do more of in next year?
- What would you like to do less of in the next year?
- What do you need ‘more of’ from me in the next year?
- What do you need ‘less of’ from me in the next year?
- If you could make a drastic change or addition or deletion to your responsibilities, what would you do?
- In what areas do you want to grow in the next year?
- What areas of our church do you think need to be addressed/fixed or changed? (They don’t have to be in your area.)
- How do I need to change, improve or ‘keep doing what I’m doing’ as the leader of the staff?
- What do you need to do in order to keep growing as a leader in the next year?
- Do you need any “tools” to better lead your area?
- What are our greatest areas of needed improvement in the next year?
- In what ways do you need to lead more as an “equipper” (training others to own a portion of the ministry) compared to leading as a “doer?”
- What are the greatest challenge(s) you will face as you continue to develop your area(s) of oversight?
- What do you think are the greatest challenges our ministry will face in the new year?
- What could we do to develop team camaraderie?
- What areas do you desire to grow in as a Christ-follower?
- What else would you like to say to me or like for us to discuss in the near future?