On Saturday, September 27th Urban Hope will be having the Carnival of Hope. Four blocks will be closed in the neighborhood to handle the expected crowd of people. The neighborhood will be treated to food, carnival games, face painting, bounce houses, a stage with performers, a pantomime performed by the Urban Hope Community Church teens, basketball, hair cuts, health screenings, information about resources in Philly, give-a ways, and more-all for free. A multicultural dance team from Liberty University will perform as well.
The purpose of the carnival is two-fold:
1) To plant seeds and let everyone in our neighborhood clearly hear and feel the love of Christ. We will have a group of people whose specific job is to share Christ and to pray with people. “One of the most encouraging things is seeing someone come to church the next day, or 6 months later, because someone had said ‘Hi to them and asked them how they could pray for them when they were at the carnival,” says Amber Richardson from the Urban Hope staff.
2) Members of the Urban Hope Community Church will share their testimony, clearly giving the gospel, and give people an opportunity to respond to the gospel. A volunteer will then meet with every person who made a decision.
In order to keep everyone at the carnival until the gospel is clearly presented, a car will be raffled off at the end of the day.
Trained volunteers will mix among the crowd to pray, share the gospel, and be ready to to follow-up when people respond. Every one who makes a decision for Christ or even registers will be given a call or visit the following week.
“It was incredible last carnival to see so many new believers from our church sharing their faith and praying with other people from our neighborhood,” says Amber. “Many people will not come into a church, but they will come to a carnival, so we just bring the church to the streets and they hear the gospel there.”
Last year Urban Hope had 61 people make decisions and 1500 people come. Please pray as Urban Hope is expecting God to do amazing things year as well.
Can you help by donating or funding an item below?
- Used or new flat screen TV’s
- Used or new Kindle Fires or other tablets
- Kid’s bicycle’s
- Gift cards for restaurants, grocery or other
- Used car(s) (in working condition)
- Children’s toys in good condition
- Candy for carnival games
- Used smartphones (Android or Iphones)
- Dish sets for cookware in good condition
If you would like to help, contact Jason at email@example.com.
Urban Hope appreciates these visiting teams who will be helping.
Grace Fellowship, Hawaii
D-Rex a multi-cultural dance team from Liberty University will be performing on the main stage
New Beginnings Grace Brethren Church, Pa.
Grace Fellowship, Pickerington, Pa.
Martinsburg Grace Brethren Church, Pa.
Crosspointe Church, York, Pa.
Lititz Grace Brethren Church, Pa.
Esperanza Health Center’s medical team